Small Steps

Small Steps

Mother Theresa once said: “We cannot all do great things.  But we can do small things with great love.”

This has given me encouragement in the past when, despite my best efforts towards service and outreach, I fail to see any tangible results.  I realize in those times that giving our best efforts for God, with a good heart and pure intentions, fulfills God’s calling for us to love our neighbors as ourselves.  And whether or not we see results, sometimes the impact is measured not in days or years, but in eternity.

The members of TEAM Japan who we will serve, and serve beside, when we get to Karuizawa.

I kind of feel this way right now.  Our family is overwhelmed with tasks to get ready to leave our home and head for a mountaintop community in a distant land.  Thousands of small decisions must be made, each with little tangible effect, but the end result is that it brings us closer to Karuizawa Japan to share God’s love with the people in our new community.  None of these steps forward are “great things”, but each one truly is a small thing done with great love.

On the positive side, it seems that Pen, Mele and I have settled into this “new normal” of craziness.  We have accepted that this is our life in the coming months, and hang on to the hope that it will all settle out when we get to Japan.  I secretly smile at this because I think we are deceiving ourselves; our life will never be “normal” in God’s service and a craziness will remain, but it’s a good crazy and we so look forward to getting into the field.

As Galations 6:9 says: “Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not give up.”  So we continue to press ahead.

We are glad you have joined us in this journey.  Please keep our family in your prayers as we move forward.  If you have not already done so, join our mailing list by using the form at the right or simply email us at JohnAndPen@LetawOhana.com.  Finally, our work is financed by faith support from people like you.  Our total budget is $3012/month.  We have reached 64% of this goal; if you are able to make a monthly pledge of support towards the remaining 36% you will help us bring Christ’s good news to the people of Japan.  Click the “Give” link at the top of the page to learn how.  God honors even the smallest gift given with great love and we thank you for your faithfulness.

Thank you and God bless!


Comments are closed.